Believeing in the Direct Quotes from Jesus

Jordan - Connelly Springs, North Carolina
Themes: Christianity

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6. These are the direct quotes in my Bible and in every Bible. These words exemplify Jesus’ teachings. They mean exactly the same in the NIV or the King James. Jesus tells us how to live our lives and follow him with actions and worship. My faith gives me the strength each day to get up and keep on going. Jesus’ teachings are what I follow. I strongly believe in the direct quotes from Jesus.

I have grown up in a Christian home. My parents and grandparents followed the many generations into becoming Southern Baptists, as I follow their footsteps. The old saying goes, “I had a drug problem. I was drug to church as a child on Sundays and drug to church on Wednesdays.” After growing spiritually I didn’t have the “drug” problem anymore. I had developed faith and love for Jesus Christ; at the age of six I accepted him as my personal Savior. My grandfather decided to give me a Bible, a King James. To a kid a Bible is a Bible; you say thanks to the person who you received the Bible from and go on. To my grandfather this Bible was a special gift because to him the King James Bible was the best way to understand God’s words. I personally didn’t mind as a kid; I knew Jesus was my Savior, and I followed his words with actions. His teachings led me on a walk of faith.

Now time has progressed for me with a better understanding of the Christian values. The Bible has become more than just words on a page. The words speak from God to us with a message. Studying from a Bible that produced multiple “these”, “saiths”, “thous”, and everything were ending with ‘ths, wasn’t helping me reach out with more in depth spiritual growth. I needed Jesus’ words to speak to me, so that I could grow in my faith and walk stronger with him. I received a New International Version of the Bible; which is the same as a King James just without so many complicated words. The main difference for me was being able to understand Jesus’ words. However, to my grandfather this couldn’t be acceptable. His mind wouldn’t understand why I choose a NIV version over a King James Version. We would argue different points for each Bible, but I never would want to displease him. He was my grandfather, and I respected him deeply, but his outlook differed from mine. This was a road block that both of us needed to get past.

One Sunday morning as I sat in church, the pastor read scripture from John 14:6. He began to reading out of the King James Version and I had my NIV on my lap. My pastor read Jesus’ teachings and the words that were in red, directly quoted by Jesus, read the same in both Bibles. I felt shocked. Had I really heard the same words from two different Bibles? Exploring more into this I found out that all NIV versions and King James versions were exactly the same only when Jesus was speaking. The more I pondered on this thought, the more I began to realize it isn’t about what Bible you use; it’s the words that Jesus says that express importance. We should follow what He says. I never had enough courage to tell my grandfather what I discovered, but I had come to a peace about our disagreement.

The direct quotes from Jesus are the foundation for following Him and to grow stronger in your walk. In all reality it won’t matter in Heaven what Bible you read from as long as He is your Savior. Why you may ask? Well to sum up everything, I believe in the direct quotes of Jesus Christ. Nothing else matters.