I Believe in the Power of Laughter

Annemarie - Hildebran, North Carolina

There is an all-natural remedy that lifts your spirits instantly. No need for a prescription, it’s free and it’s legal. This miracle drug is laughter. I believe in the power of laughter.

Everyday at some point I experience laughter. I laugh at my friends, my teachers, but most of the time myself. I feel sure that laughter has helped me through these twelve long years of school. For example, getting up for school on Monday mornings can be quite a challenge. Many of my classmates have resorted to Red Bull or coffee, which I enjoy just as much as the next person. Instead, my antidote is laughter. Watching my older brother walk down the hall to the shower can be awfully comical. I find it to be an effective way to “come to” in those early morning hours. However, the consequences of laughing at him would prove to be more dangerous than caffeine.

Laughter has the power to alter our “bad moods” in just seconds. I’m reminded of my two year old cousin, Evan. He is certainly a sweetheart, but sometimes he just chooses to be mad at the world and nothing can take the scowl off his face. This is when I deploy every trick in the book such as funny faces, tickling, and playing “Peep-Eye.” All the while Evan will fight back his smile, drawing his mouth downward on each side, until he just explodes with laughter. You see, we just can’t keep it in!

Laughter is contagious. Often times I will laugh at a friend and she will laugh at me laughing at her. This could go on forever until we just forget what we were laughing about in the first place. The best example of this never fails to occur at sleepovers when everyone else in the house is asleep. It’s those two bright-eyed, ten year old little girls, bundled up in their sleeping bags just giggling the night away; for no apparent reason. I was always one those girls. It is twelve o’clock at night and the laughter is uncontrollable until the party games finally catch up with you. The rest that night is so peaceful when you drift off to sleep with a smile on your face.

If the saying, “The more you laugh the longer you live,” is true then I should live forever. I believe in the power of laughter. It can reach you at your lowest low and pull you back up again, so live and laugh. This I believe.