The Words of Power

Mong - Hickory, North Carolina

When I get myself tangled in a web, I would think about the words, “Just keep swimming” from the movie Finding Nemo. This quote from the little blue fish creates comedy and entertainment for audiences of all ages. However, this quote has a powerful significance. I believe in this little quote, “Just keep swimming.”

The power from this quote makes me feel the urge to move and never stop. I have more self-assurance when I think about it. I think back to a time when I had so much work to complete and never had time for fun. “Just keep swimming,” I would tell myself. The fall semester of my senior year I had to take English and advanced math together. I’m a weakling in math. It’s difficult for me to evaluate a huge problem. Of course, the teacher assigned only ten or fifteen problems every night, but it definitely takes time to finish. My Senior research project, on the other hand, was easier, but the time takes forever. Sometimes, I feel I’d run out of brain cells. Senior project just took my time during the whole fall semester until the end. Since I had chosen a subject in the field of education, the work was abundant. Besides senior project and math class, I had to search for scholarships that would help me in college. The search for scholarships and applying for them took so much time to complete. I had to get teachers’ recommendations, find official transcripts, and write essays. I thought my brain was going to blow. However, I just used time wisely. Throughout my fall semester, I always whispered in my brain, “Just keep swimming” to pass the time. It would end soon.

“Just keep swimming”, I would say, but when you’re in a club with other leaders who don’t do their part, complications start. As co-editor of the school newspaper, I would have to do the other co-editor’s part. It is a very heavy burden to do two jobs for one club and have only one leader to complete the task alone. “JUST KEEPING SWIMMING!” is all I thought about whenever I was doing the jobs, and I still think about it because I’m still the co-editor of the newspaper.

Sometimes, I feel like I am stuck in the middle of the deep, dark-blue sea. My reason for saying this never ends. There will always be problems occurring to me. I’ve rummaged a hole too deep and cannot get out. For people who know me, they understand my meaning because nearly five-feet tall is how I stand (My height is five feet even.). The deep blue sea is a vast jungle infested with long tingly kelp, ready to wrap its long leaves around my ankles and no way out. I’ll die soon if I don’t go dashing through. So every time I find myself lost in the vast, deep blue sea, I think of “just keep swimming.” There’s a way in. There must be a way out. “Just keep swimming.” This I believe.