You Can’t Buy Happiness

Meredith - Connelly Springs, North Carolina

All girls can relate that purchasing a new pair of jeans or a cute top can really brighten your day. I describe this happiness as a short term type of happiness. It lasts for about a week, and then you are forced to buy something else to gain that sense of happiness again. Short term happiness is very superficial, and if you rely on material items that money can buy, you will never be truly happy. This is why I believe money can not buy happiness. I have found that I’m filled with the most joy when engaging in activities that cost nothing at all.

It thrills me to have my puppy greet me with wet kisses and snuggles everyday. Her mood and love for me never changes. Girl’s nights are the absolute best. We sit and talk all night about everything and anything that is happening in our lives good or bad. The night is all about indulging in junk food, acting silly, laughing, and being yourself. Something as simple as singing makes brings me joy. After a difficult day at school, I like to blast the music as loud as possible and sing my favorite songs at the top of my lungs. When your special guy does sweet things like leaving you a message/ comment on Myspace, making a special card or gift, or surprising you with a visit for no reason it brings you indescribable happiness.

Memories that cause me to smile months and years later remind me what adds meaning to my life. Happiness is not buying that pair of jeans you thought you couldn’t live without at that moment and a month later forgetting you ever bought them and barely wearing them again. Important things like friends and family and wonderful memories you’ll never forget are the keys to achieving true happiness.