Tall and Proud

Regina - miramar, Florida

Tall and Proud.

I used to be taller than my twin brother Reggie was. I was smarter, stronger, faster etc. My parents would always comment about how much taller I was than my brother. At the time, he was one of the shortest skinniest kids in the family. I always felt more superior so I always took advantage of him I was the evil twin. I guess it let it all go to my head because I learned something shocking, I am short.

I never knew I was so short until I came back from summer break and everyone had grown. It was the first day of school and everyone thought I shrunk. The eight graders who did not know me thought I was in the sixth grade because of my large backpack, my dorkiness, and my height. They would see my Id and scratch their heads when they saw grade 8.

Before this, no one ever called me short. Even my parents were surprised on how I was not growing anymore. My brother’s hormones went in overdrive and he shot past me in the height department. He also drunk that disgusting white stuff called milk, which I hate. I also have a fine love for coffee, so in combination with a deficiency in calcium intake I came up short.

My parents told me I was short because I do not clean my room. My mother is short too she is 5’3 and my dad is 5’8. My other older brother who is 23 is 5’4.

Even though my friends still make fun of my height (I am 4’5) I still feel tall. I am always going to feel tall, even when I come up to Jasper’s hip (he is 6 feet) I still feel tall. Even when I walk and Allan uses my shoulder to rest, his elbow I still feel tall.

I never saw what any else saw. Even though I cannot reach the cupboards in History class or shoot a basket (it is actually because I have no game) I still feel tall.

Even if I am 49 I still be happy being the same height (though in actuality I will probably shrink because of all the years of a stressed out back, oestoperosis because I do not get calcium).

I believe I am tall, because I am tall inside even though measuring sticks prove otherwise. If people say negative things about you should not care it all depends what you think about yourself.