The Beach

Jennie - Neenah, Wisconsin
Themes: environment

Everything about the ocean makes me feel relaxed. The powerful turquoise waves crashing on the sandy white beaches are the best place in the world. All the activities that go on at the beach are so tranquil. For me, the beach is my favorite place in the world.

“Beep, Beep Beep”. My alarm clock screams at me to wake up. Climbing out of bed, the possibilities for today are endless. I put the minty toothpaste on the toothbrush and feel the tingles in my mouth. My swimsuit still damp from yesterday feels cold against my skin. Suntan lotion fills the room as it squirts out of the bottle. The lotion feels as cold as snow as it soaks into my skin. I grabbed my beach bag filled with sand toys, towels, tanning oils and burst through the door. As I wait for the elevator excitement fills my body. “DING” The sound, signals that the elevator is here to take us down to begin our day. When the doors open I emerge into the lobby. As I walk out the doors a rush of warm air slams into my body. The laughter and talking of the beach is overwhelming. The air smells like salt and I can taste it in my mouth. I see a area on the beach for me. I feel the sand as soft as flour in between my toes. My beach bag begins to feel like I’m carrying a million rocks on my back as it drops to the ground. Little kids run past me with plastic shovels as they dig down into the earth. I walk towards the ocean till I feel the water on my feet. The water gets deeper and deeper and finally my feet can no longer touch the sandy bottom. The water has taken over my body and I just float with the waves. Up and over my body goes as the powerful waves crash into the shore. The taste of salt water is in my mouth and is stinging my sun burnt face. Lying on my back I look up into the clear blue sky. Out of no where a wave that seemed to be taller than a skyscraper flips me over and I am a prisoner of the ocean. Being tossed and turned around helplessly as the ocean carries me closer to shore is a scary feeling. I lay there on the beach catching my breath and look back out into the frightening yet beautiful ocean. Standing up I walk over to a secluded part of the beach. The water elicits right in front of me, reaching forward to flood around me then pulling back. The sun is slowly creeping down in the sky and I walk back to my belongings and leave. The doors open into the hotel and cold air takes over. When I go to my room I take one last look at the beach and it reminds me why its my favorite place.