Uselessness of War

Tianshu - Neenah, Wisconsin
Themes: war

People have been fighting and killing ever since the beginning of time. Many of the Da Vincis’, Michelangelos’, and Einsteins’ of this world were lost. Men and women both die for the greed of one king, emperor, or dictator. War is the greatest flaw of man.

“War is the greatest plague that can affect humanity; it destroys religion, it destroys state, it destroys families. Any scourge is preferable to it.” –Martin Luther. In three days at Gettysburg 50,000 men died. In World War II alone, 55 million people perished; of the deaths, more than half were civilians. At the bombing of Dresden, art from all over the world was burned and centuries old architecture destroyed. After that there were even more turmoil; the Cold War was the basis for many other conflicts including Korea, Vietnam, and Afghanistan.

Inequality and hate also shows up to join the unrest. During the draft of the American Civil War, Irish immigrants went on a rampage in New York and killed 100 people to show that they weren’t going to fight for the blacks’ freedom. In the Vietnam War, black civil rights leaders said that they wouldn’t fight for a country that hates them. There were even segregation in the military; black sailors had to house in the lowest deck of ships in World War II. And let’s not forget the countless victims that died because of their beliefs, race, or way of life. People shouldn’t be discriminated by things they can’t change but by actions that define their souls.

The money used for war would be better spent on domestic policies. Instead of buying tanks at four million dollars each, why not use that money to build up poor neighborhoods. There is overproduction, yet there are kids still staving in the streets and the homeless freezing to death. Poverty, as research shows, is the number one reason why crimes are so frequent; criminals have almost nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Everyone has seen what war does to civilization; it turns men into animals and the most respectable figures of society into beggars. War is also a necessary evil; it’s a part of mankind that’s here to stay. We have to ask ourselves, is it worth fighting and dying for something so horrible, so useless?