Atheism

Jennifer - Muscatine, Iowa
Themes: atheism

Not believing in god is not as bad as it seems. I may not believe in god yet I don’t worship the devil. I believe that there are greater powers out there but not in them. I also believe that people judge me based on my beliefs.

Being Atheist is, to most, a terrible thing. Having friends that are Catholic or Christian does not bother me in the slightest way. They have no problem with me being Atheist. I have met people that fully worship god. They go to church everyday and live life by the bible. Many have come to me asking me why I don’t believe in god. They preach to me and try to convert me to their religion. Some tell me if I don’t start to believe in god, he is going to send me to hell and I will never go to heaven. I don’t care what they think; I don’t try to convert them to Atheism. Why do people do it to me? I feel that I should be able to believe in whatever I like and not get judged by it. If believing in god is the right thing to do; why is not believing in god wrong. I was raised to believe that I can be whatever I want to be and believe whatever I want to believe. Now that I do I get judged and preached to. I don’t think that is fair. If those who tell you to believe what you want know the results, they shouldn’t say it. My mom tells me that I am the

demon child of the family because I am the only one in our whole family that does not believe in god. I am proud of this; I do not want to be like everybody else and I am glad that I stand out.

I used to believe in god but that changed dramatically after my cousin Melissa was killed. She was 18 and going into her second year of college. She was going to be something big. She was the first to actually make something of herself and I am proud to say that I am trying to follow in her steps. On November 16, 2002, Melissa was killed by a drunk driver that was going 85 on a 35. He hit her on the driver side door, which sent her spinning into a tree to hit her in the same spot. She died instantly. Her best friend Dora was with her; when they got hit she flew to the backseat. Her head slammed onto the backseat causing her to go into critical condition. She stayed in the hospital for about three months. Nobody could talk to her or mention her name because she would start to scream and freak out. The odd thing about this is before I found out about her death; I had a dream about it. In my dream I saw blood and her face. It was as if I was sitting in the passenger seat and I saw her get it but the truck. It was as if I was Dora and I saw everything that happened. It’s hard to explain this and I know it’s hard to believe but it’s true. That was when I stopped believing in god. He took my grandpa, great grandma, aunt, uncle, and three of my cousins. All god does is take and take; he has yet to give. Why should I believe in him? He has done so little for me so what is there for me to believe; I have no proof of his existence. How do I even know there is a god? It doesn’t do me any good to believe in him.

I am thankful for all the things that I have. I am proud of my family, friends and any other loved ones. God did not give them to me. I made friends, my mom made the family, and I earned my most cherished items. Fate and destiny is what led us here; god just stood on the sidelines. Being Atheist is what I believe in. Nothing is wrong with that; just another religion or belief.