Finding Prince Charming

April - Cohuta, Georgia
Themes: love

I never believed in love. I always had problems with relationships with guys throughout middle school and most of my high school career. And my parents have had problems for over eight years now. They act like they hate each other, so I didn’t have an example of true love. I didn’t believe in love, the idea of it lasting, or the possibility of me finding it. The high never lasts.

Spring semester of my senior year, I met this guy in one of my AP classes. I liked him from the beginning. Then we were partners together for lab one day, and I started to get to know him. We talked everyday. But just as my luck goes, he had a girlfriend.

Time passed, and they broke up. I thought, this is my chance, and at the first opportunity, I seized the moment–carpe diem. We made plans for a date. That day was one I won’t forget. I was so nervous I felt like I was on a perpetual roller coaster with my stomach churning. That first date was one of the most nerve-wrecking experiences for both of us, but it turned out well. More and more dates followed: dates of movies, watching sunsets, hiking, and dinners. Things grew better and better while feelings grew stronger.

For once, I had found someone that I fit with. We are so much alike, and can talk about absolutely anything from resonating frequencies of bridges to jokes. I feel safe with him, and I trust him completely—like I have never before. He has become my best friend. We have done more stuff together than I ever have with anyone, and shared so many first experiences with him.

Over this past year, I have changed for the better because of him. He has made me see what it is like to be loved, and shown me what real love is. He has taught me about myself and he challenges me to discover my own beliefs.

I never imagined I would be one of those girls that meets her prince charming and falls in love. I never thought I would hear words like, “I miss you every second you are gone. I hear your voice in my dreams and I see your face every time I close my eyes.”

He taught me to believe in love.

I now believe that love exists, and the feeling of utter bliss and happiness it shows. I know what it’s like to have someone here beside me at any second and promises to stay. I am so lucky to have found the one that flatters me, moves the hair out of my face just to kiss me, says he wants to spend the rest of his life with me, shows that chivalry is not dead, and loves me for me. “I cannot believe that I am so unbelievably lucky to find you in this world where nothing seems to be right.”

I believe love can happen, because for me it has.