Standing Next to the Fire

Cameron - Lawrenceville, Georgia

Standing Next to the Fire

I believe that knowledge is like heat. I believe that in order for one to achieve true brilliance they need gain their knowledge from the source of that brilliance. I could spend my whole life surrounding myself with people who are smarter than I am in hopes to be like them, but I can only be as smart as they are, never more. I will never achieve a greater width of knowledge because they will be all I am exposed to. I will only become more intelligent when I surround myself with the source of that intelligence. It is like standing next to a fire. I could stand next to a fire and absorb some of the heat radiating off the fire and then go stand next to someone in the cold darkness. They will absorb some of my heat but they will never be warmer than I am. They could only absorb more heat if they stand next to the heat source themselves.

One of the many subjects that I wish to be brilliant at is religion. I could sit all day and all night in church listening to the Preacher tell me of the bible and the sins I should not commit, but I will only know what he teaches me. I will only be as holy as he is and I will only know as much about God as he does. In order for me to truly understand God and his holiness, I would have to study his words, reading and understanding the Bible. I would need to comprehend his every thought and accept it as his teachings, using him as my source of heat. However, even that will not be enough. Then I would need to live as he tells me to, following his commandments and his ways of life. I would have look towards him as a model for my own life.

Jesus provides us with an eternal heat source, never losing one degree, or even the slightest bit of heat. His heat source is like a candle and our spiritual heat is like a piece of paper. When we pray a little, we get a little warmer. When we fast a little, we get a little warmer. When we read a little, we get a little warmer. When we do all three a little more, we get a little warmer. When we praise a little, we start feeling the heat. When we worship a little, we are almost burning. All these things get us a little closer to God. Each part is another step closer to feeling the fire of God. And then, one day, when we enter into his presence, and he touches us we will burn as he does. Jesus Christ provides us with an internal heat source, like putting a paper to a flame.

When most people look at what happens to a paper lit on fire by a candle they simply say, “It disappeared.” But, the paper did not disappear. The paper absorbed so much heat; its pure parts were separated from the impure. Now what happens when a person gets this close to God? When people get this close to God, they absorb so much heat from God that they discard their fleshly habits and reach a level that they have never reached before, they become someone that they have never been before, and they will see things that they have never seen before. This paper had never been a gas before, it has never seen our atmosphere, and it had never been able to move the way it moved. People have to get close to God. The majority of the good things people do just keep them warm enough to barely get by. The only thing that will set them on fire is their closeness to God. They have to talk to him and they have to listen to him. Moses would sit face to face with God and was considered God’s friend. One day, coming down from the mountain, Moses’ face was glowing with the spirit of God. He was on fire. He was on fire because he was close to God. I believe in standing next to the fire.

God works in mysterious ways. He gives people loops to jump through to prove what they can accomplish, not for him, but for themselves. He shows us that a fork in the road to his divine light is not just the difference between a right and wrong path to him; it is a question of what lessons we want to learn before we get there. God supplied us with a brain that has an astronomical ability to hold power, knowledge, and wisdom. Thousands of scientists have spent years trying to understand the capabilities of the mind and have been amazed at how complex it is. However, we use no more of our brain than we use our car. People do not always drive at full potential of their car, they do not drive all day and all night at top speed in a car filled to its capacity. However, putting gas in the car is the first step towards using it to its full ability. The human brain needs fuel like a car does. It needs to be close enough to an energy source to be ale to absorb some of that energy. The more a person pushes their brain to that energy source, the more it becomes alive and in use. Moses became as close to God as he could using him as his energy source, living more and more each day. The human brain needs to be closer to the source of energy that intrigues it, knowledge. Then and only then can we live to our full potential and be as Moses was to God. Stand next to the fire.