Agape

Kristine - Summerville, Georgia

Agape

I believe in agape! The Greeks have several words they use to describe the different types of love. One word they use is “agape” (unconditional love). Agape is the kind of love that God has for His children. Simply stated, God loves us no matter what. Agape is also the kind of love that parents should have for their children. Agape is also demonstrated through a child’s love for their parents. Agape has been shown to me many times in my life. This is why I believe in it so much.

In April 1997, I met a man named Tommy. He seemed nice enough at first. However, I soon discovered that he was not so nice. I had been dating him for about a month when he offered me a line of cocaine. I thought to myself “One little line couldn’t hurt.” Man, was I wrong! The instant feeling of euphoria I felt had me wanting more. I became addicted to cocaine. I remained addicted for nine years. I became so addicted that I didn’t care about life anymore. I literally wanted to die. It was at this time, the lowest point in my life, that God rescued me. He sent my Aunt Dene to Houston, Texas to bring me and my twins home to north Georgia. It was then and there that I realized that God really did have unconditional love for me. He didn’t care how sinful I had been, He just loved me. Pure agape!

When I arrived at my mother’s farm I was in horrible shape. I was still addicted to cocaine and was suffering through withdraw. I looked tired, malnourished and pale. I had no job, no car and no driver’s license. I felt like I was a great disappointment to my mother. I expected to be treated like an outcast. My mother took me in her arms and told me she loved me and that things would get better. She told me that the twins and I could live with her until we get on our feet. I began to cry uncontrollably. I knew I was loved unconditionally!

Now I am building my life anew. I have a driver’s license and a used car. I am attending college and have a part-time job. My twins are by my side cheering me on. They even help me study. I still have a long way to go, but I know my twins will continue to encourage me. I may loose my cool sometimes, but my twins still love me.

I have made numerous mistakes in the past. I have done things that I am not proud to have done. I am so lucky to receive unconditional love from God, my parents, and my twins. I do not deserve the love that I receive and yet I still receive it. I am so blessed to have been given another chance at making something of my life. It is easy to see why I believe in agape.