Without Words

Haley - Chicago, Illinois

I believe in words. From some of the most common words like hello or why to the words that people do not even know exist such as dactlyonomy, words mean everything. Words define people and the lives they live. Similar forms and pronunciation of words, otherwise known as languages, bring groups of people together. With these similarities, people are able to communicate and express their feelings towards just about anything they can think of.

Without words life would be pretty hard to imagine. How would my mom have warned me to be careful because she was carrying a hot bowl of soup without words? How would I be able to wish my friends a happy birthday or my teachers to have a happy holiday without words? But words do not just help us with the little things. How would our country have been formed and have a set of laws without the intelligent words of our founding fathers? Picture the world without words. It seems like a terrifying place, doesn’t it?

I believe words protect us, encourage us, inform us, and can possibly hurt us. Words make us feel better yet they also bring us down. Words bring people closer together and push people farther apart. Words can make up for our wrong and displeasing actions and words can congratulate the wonderful deeds of others. Words tell stories. Whether it is a folk tale or a past memory of a family member, words express and create stories all over the world.

Words are a gift that most people take for granted, but the truth is not everyone is lucky enough to experience them. Some people are unable to see words, others are unable to hear them, and some are unable to speak them. But no matter what form or way words come to you, the fact that they do is what matters most.

Words are the building blocks of societies, friendships, family relationships, and education. They are depended upon by every person, both dead and alive. A dead person would be forgotten without words to tell their stories. One who is alive needs words to keep them living. Words are everything. This is what I believe.