This I believe

Kevin - La Grange Park, Illinois

This I believe

It was the summer leading into eighth grade when I first started to question the religion in which I had been raised to know so well. Up until then I had never really thought about what I was actually learning so intensely. When I found out confirmation was coming up within the next year, I had some serious thinking to do. After I really thought about it, logically and scientifically, I determined that there is no possible way that any sort of higher being could be up there.

I was raised in a fairly strict catholic family. Every Wednesday I would go to CCD (which I still do not know what the acronym stands for), and of course every Sunday, the family would go to mass. The thought that a God did not actually exist never even crossed my mind, and even if it had, it would have gone away quick for fear of seeing what my mom would say. The conversation that really sparked the idea of skepticism was when I heard my mom and aunt, both devout Catholics, arguing over their beliefs. This argument got pretty heated and there were many things disagreed upon. How could two people say they believe in the same religion when their personal beliefs are so varied?

This one question put a hault to any chance of me ever getting confirmed. I then started to think about how most religions have the same basic principles and quite similar ideas. All of them tell their followers to have good values and morals, and most of them include this higher being that decides what will become of you after you have past. This all had to originate from one central idea. An idea that has traveled around the globe through many generations who have taken it and shaped it into their own forms. These people spread their new ideas to the people around them and it has stuck with their families throughout hundreds and hundreds of generations. If I were to live in a place like India, there is no chance I would grow up to be Christian. I believe that people do not pick their religion, that what religion you are is determined by where you grow up and what your parents choose for you.