The Will to Believe

Kim - Hastings, Nebraska

Life is one step forward, two steps back… Once you seem to get something completed with your life a new harder challenge appears in its place. That is where the inner will is built.

I believe if there is a will, there is a way. Things happen for a reason to make one stronger and more into their own pride if they choose to accept it.

Being born with a minor hip and leg disorder I learned early that nothing would be perfect. Everyone has a challenge they face. For me it was, and most likely will be till I die, my own physical being. Think of a Fourth Grader already knowing that people are harsh and popularity isn’t that special. That was me. Think of a high school student where cripple jokes were written on the board showing the lack of understanding. That was me. I shared my tears but never once did I lose my pride. I woke up and kept on going even if it hurt.

Faith isn’t all part of it. Religion in my mind only does so much. It gives support to those that are in need. But when you get down to the bare hard truth God doesn’t help you, you help yourself. I have never seen a man in white clothing aiding and guiding me while going through all my surgeries. How about the times when I was mocked and insulted before the class? Where is the man whom is supposed to raise his hand and speak, “Peace?” The only thing I ever saw was my pride and will. If I had fallen on my mistakes or been tripped by fool, I simply got up and kept on going. With some falls and trips I stayed on the ground a bit longer, but I will not live my life looking at the rocks and dirt.

I believe that ones will and pride will show others how they are. Head up and shoulders back aren’t always the keys to look for. Yes, they are the most common, but one does not need to be like that. How do they look and hit life? How about the tears they break and the laughs they crack? How much do they share things and give to others without being easy bait? The ‘How are you’ rather than ‘I am fine’ when meeting them.

Do not let them fools say you can’t. I have learned that everyone has a special gift. That gift can be art, math, and drama. There is so much one can be good at. No one is stupid or ungifted. I believe that everyone haves a hidden talent.