Life After Death

Sandra - Chatsworth, Georgia

I believe in my older brother, my hero, my best friend, and here recently, mi angel. He was a year and two months older than me, and so we grew up doing the same things, living through the same hardships, and being there for one another through the good and the bad. All my life, he was the person I always turned too when I needed anything. One day he could be my dad, another he would be my teacher, and then he could turn around and be my sidekick too. Actually, I was his sidekick. He was the one with all the brilliant ideas, all the best pranks, and all the risky adventures. I followed him.

My older brother taught me how to learn. I’m very good at it now. There was that time I learned how to ride a bike. I fell down and cried. He rode a bike and did all kinds of cool tricks, and every now and then, he would fall too. But he wouldn’t cry. He would get up and try again. By the end of the day, he had scars all over him. He would show them off and say “Sis, you see this, if this is what it takes, then this is what you take”. That’s how he lived everyday of his life for 19 years. And I learned to do that as well.

My older brother was my inspiration. As we grew older, we lived through some hard times. My dad was drunk and abusive, my mom was working more jobs than hours in the day for them, and so we grew up feeling lonely. Then we came to America, left dad behind, and felt even lonelier. My mom had to work even more once we were here. I never saw her. I would look in the mirror and saw tears and despair. Then I would turn and look at my older brother, and I would see a smile of hope, a smile that made me feel I had nothing to be lonely about because he was with me. He would look back at me and say “Sis, lets go out for a walk.” And we did.

My older brother showed me how to be successful. He was good at everything he did. I never met a harder worker, a smarter student, a stronger athlete, a more caring friend, and a more responsible brother than him.

I believe in my older brother because he believed in me. He knew I could do anything I set my heart too. He made me believe it too. He anticipated a great future for me, one that would make me happy, and he reminded me about it whenever he had a chance. When I felt lost or troubled with some issue, he would look at me and say, “Sis, times are getting stronger, and so are you.” Then, I would raise my head off the ground, and find a solution.

I can’t see my older brother anymore, but he can see me, and I believe in him now more than ever.