I Believe That Jesus and Santa Clause are Related

Wendy - Ringgold, Georgia

I believe that Jesus and Santa Clause are related. Just out of my observation, when Jesus was born that is when Santa Clause magically appeared. Jesus and Santa seemed to have some of same qualities such as: they both give unconditional love, they both give that one special gift, and they both love children. The story of the birth of Christ is told in church and through the family. Santa is the same. Through me my children know that Jesus is real and through the eyes of my children, Santa is alive.

Jesus’ gift that he gives is intangible. The gift Santa gives is materialistic. This is the one of the ways where I do see they differ. Nevertheless, during the holiday season, they both get the same amount of attention. I have often said to my children “You’d better be good because Santa is watching”. However, I can’t ever recall telling my children “You’d better be good because Jesus is watching”. I wonder why that is? Jesus is always watching and his gifts come constantly. Santa’s gifts only come once a year and when the belief of him is gone so are the gifts. Regardless, Santa has the element of surprise. My children write out their wish list, sit on Santa’s lap, and confess to him that they have been good all year. They then wait, driving me crazy, until Christmas Eve. I am thanking Jesus that the night has finally come.

When the gifts under the tree are opened and my children seemed pleased with their treasures, I’m thinking about packing away the decorations. Santa has come and gone and it’s all over with until next year. I hope that I don’t give that impression each Sunday when I leave church. I just lay my Bible down and forget about Jesus until next Sunday. That would be shameful on my part of teaching my children about Jesus.

Reflecting back the joy of knowing eternal life is exciting. The joy of knowing Santa is coming on Christmas Eve is exciting because of my children. This is how I came to the conclusion that Jesus and Santa are related.