People get prejudged too often

Alaina - New Market, Virginia

I believe that we all prejudge other at least once in our lifetimes. We prejudge them in so many different ways. You may not even know when you are doing it. You shouldn’t let others think you are someone other than who you really are. Prejudging people happens so often. I get really upset because others think I act like I’m really mean and I’m not. All it takes is one word.

When I was seven, my fourteen-year-old cousin came to visit from West Virginia. I had never seen pictures of him but he had seen my beauty pageant and cheerleading pictures. When he came to visit us for two months he thought that I was stuck up even before he had met me. I am not really stuck up, I have a great personality. It made me feel so horrible inside I wanted to change his mind. Since he had already made up his mind about me it was really hard to try to make him think I was not stuck up. I was really nice and friendly, but he never really changed his mind about me.

If I had to live in a town were everything was the same and everybody did the same thing at the same time, I would go nuts. I love being completely unordinary. Take the other day for an example: I wore a pair of pink striped rubber rain boots, jeans and a pink long-sleeve shirt to school. Many people looked at me and just started laughing, but it didn’t bother me at all. It very easily could have hurt my feelings by them laughing at me. Maybe they were the only shoes I had to wear or just my favorite shoes. So, others should not have laughed or made fun of my boots.

I like people to do what others do not expect them to do, because I like to see the expression on their faces, when something unordinary is done. I think that people need to express themselves and others should not judge.

There are so many ways to prejudge someone. You may think that people are weird by the way they dress or the way their hair is cut or colored but, it maybe a way of expressing oneself. It also may be the only clothes available for them to wear or to buy. As for the hair style, their parents may make them wear it like that way or their culture or religion may affect the style that they wear.

So, just because someone isn’t who like what you think they should be, do not prejudge them, because there are many things that could make them the way they are beyond their control.