Sports

Damon - La Grange, Illinois
Themes: sports

I believe in sports. Sports not only as a game, or as a hobby, but an escape from the pressures of everyday activities, and a way to connect with myself. Throughout my life, I’ve obsessed over sports and I’ve grown a passion for them that I really can’t describe, and as I grow up, it is easy to look back and see how great it has really been.

Sports are to most people a hobby or a way to keep occupied during spare time. They watch a football game every Sunday, or play some basketball after school. Looking back on my life, sports have helped me connect with friends and help me understand myself. The most important part though, is it removes stress and allows me to keep life moving along.

In the average school day, a student is forced to listen to a teachers talk for hours on end, focusing on subjects that they don’t enjoy. 4 or 5 tests a week and working late hours, not including the presentations and homework that most classes will require on a nightly basis. For nearly everybody, this takes a toll on the mind and on the body. I can’t speak for everybody just myself, and athletics have been my way of focusing. When I play sports, I don’t have to worry about any of the things that go on during the day, or the grades I got on my last test.

Every day after school for as long as I can remember I would get home and just shoot hoops. It has become more than just the sport, but also way to view the day in hindsight and move on. When I shoot, there’s no parents, teachers, or even friends to blame or fall back on, and has really helped teach me about who I am.

Ever since I’ve moved away from my friends back at home, I don’t share the same stories and activies that I could when I lived back in Jersey. Even though I’m still a thousand miles away, when I visited back home, everything felt just like it did before I left. That was all thanks to sports. There was always a sport to play and something to talk about. I faced the same situation before when I switched school districts in New Jersey. People always talked about adventures that they had before I started attending the new school, and it was hard to meet people, but I started meeting people through sports: basketball, football, soccer, track. Sports have been a lifesaver for me and I don’t know what I would do without them.