Everybody has a purpose

Brittney - Bartlesville, Oklahoma

The other day I was in Taco Bell ordering my usual of a fiesta platter with no tomatoes, and as I stood watching the cooks in the back putting everything together, I wondered what America would be like today without them. Doctors, lawyers, policemen and firemen are people we depend on and send out our gratitude towards; but what about those small people who quietly go to work and get no appreciation for what they do. What about the people that keeps this society moving without even realizing it. I believe that everybody has a purpose, not just the scientists, doctors and lawyers.

What would our life be like today without construction workers? Even the white house had to be built by somebody. What would our life be like today without janitors? If they weren’t here, then the health department would probably shut down schools, and nobody would get any education. What would life be like today without mailmen or trash men or cafeteria workers? If these underpaid, underappreciated men and women all vanished, our society would definitely crash. Without the cash register workers at grocery stores, we wouldn’t be able to buy food, and I don’t even want to think about society without the workers at the end of our 911 calls. What about bus drivers? Without them many kids wouldn’t have a way to get to school, and would never get an education. Speaking of education, think about life without teachers. There are thousands if not millions of these people out there who go to work not expecting any praise or thanks for what they do; and they aren’t surprised that not many people appreciate them. We look down upon them, we pay them little, and we make fun of them; but the truth is that without them America wouldn’t be the same. They are the gears of the huge machine that we call society, and without them nothing would be able to run. In no way am I saying that other jobs aren’t important; I’m just pointing out that maybe we should pay a little more attention to those whom we have never paid attention to before.

The other day as I got in our car in the 5 minute timeframe between my piano lesson and volleyball practice, I discovered tomatoes on my fiesta platter from Taco Bell. Instead of getting angry, I was just happy that there was somebody to make my fiesta platter in the first place.