Strength of Spirit

Trevor - Austin, Texas

It may seem funny, lying in a hospital bed, and saying optimistically, “It doesn’t get any better than this, life is good”. Cracking jokes with nurses and doctors as they pass by relieved not to have to hear someone unloading misery on their ears. This is the power of persistence through vision, strength of spirit, the will to go on with a positive perspective even if confronted by a set back or a challenge. I believe in embracing this type of soul strength and letting it improve my quality of life, whenever and however it can.

There are many times when various afflictions have motivated me to rely on the strength of spirit I speak of. I have fallen through glass causing four tendons to be severed in my right wrist and wasn’t supposed to be able to use it again. Still, I taped a guitar pick to my cast humorously practicing everyday. I played guitar in full form by the end of the month, in spite of a dire prognosis doctors gave me for a lifetime of immobility. Last year I woke up in my bed, unable to breathe because a poisonous spider had bitten me in my sleep. I had to struggle to reach the phone to call EMS before passing out. I have been hit by five different cars and have been hospitalized twice as a result. The first time I was consigned a wheel chair, told I’d never walk again, yet I defied this diagnosis. October of last year a yellow checkered Taxi cab door swung open as I rode my black bicycle by it on Fifth Street. It knocked me into a moped and I have a new scar on my left arm as a result. Chalk it up to O’Toole’s commentary: “Murphy was an optimist.” The last accident requiring serious medical treatment happened on the way to my high school graduation, six years ago. A white jeep did not see me as I waited for him to go; I didn’t realize a wooden telephone pole hid me from view. After waiting for him, I figured the pause was for me, so I rode forth. I saw what was happening seconds beforehand and yelled “No!” before blacking out. I accepted my diploma on crutches, commenting, “Well I made it here, I’ve graduated, even if I’m on my last leg-literally!”

Feeling that I wasn’t hopeless in developing a stronger spirit to counter afflictions, I opened myself up to an Eastern approach and researched mantras on my own. “Everything and everybody prospers me now” was one I definitely took to heart. I saw a measurable and quantitative difference in my life after saying it at least 20 times a day for the past five years. I made more money, lived in nicer residencies, and had better luck compared to the previous years. This is an example of strength through spirit and the power it has to change the outside by changing the inside first.