Sleepovers

Sara - LaGrange, Illinois

Sleepovers

We wash off all our make up, pull our hair back, put on comfy sweat pants, grab some ice cream and popcorn, and just all lay back on a couch talking and laughing our heads off. This is the start to all amazing sleepovers. I believe that sleepovers are a very important part to any teenager’s life. Sleepovers can provide nonstop laughter all night, talking all night, and even crying all night. They are full of bonding between friends and are also full of learning about yourself and friends. Sleepovers let the real you shine through. No one cares what you are talking about, what you look like, or what crazy thing you are doing, just as long as you are there and being yourself.

I will never forget this one sleepover at my friend Annie’s house. There we were stuffing our faces with puppy chow and other junk food, we had a movie on but we were all way too busy playing truth or dare and gossiping as usual to even watch the movie. Later on we all finally started to calm down and talk about more serious issues, which then started a whole lot of crying. I think we went through like two Kleenex boxes. It had been a hard year for some of us with losses of loved ones. From dogs and cats who had been like best friends to grandparents, uncles, neighbors, and parents. Once one person started talking and crying everything just kept pouring out of all of us. My one friend who unfortunately had lost a parent had never really talked about it and we all had not really seen her cry that much about it, until that night where she got to let it all out with the rest of us and our stories and shared memories. Another friend got to share her grief about a neighbor passing away because of cancer and of her helping the kids of that family. All of us definitely had bricks lifted off our chests that night as we all just spilled out what we had never said to anyone before. Even though our eyes were all puffy and our faces all red and blotchy, we all felt incredibly comfortable and relaxed embraced in each others tight warm hugs. That night I believe we all went to sleep with smiles on our faces knowing that there was a trust that was never going to be broken between us as we all slept side by side. This is why I believe that staying up until 5 in the morning, or not even sleeping at all is so important to anyone’s life. It is an amazing way to build an extremely strong trust and friendship with friends and learn about yourself.