Above All Things I Believe in Love

Karly - Wells, Maine
Themes: family, illness, love

Above all things I believe in love. There are many different kinds of love that can accomplish amazing things. The most important to me, however, is the love of a family. I feel it can conquer anything in this crazy messed up world.

Two months before my high school graduation, I asked my mom if she would come to my athletic awards for cheerleading. She accepted, but then she broke down. She told me she was too tired and that lately, she could barely make it up the stairs to the second floor of our house. I was disappointed, but I was scared as well. The next day, I skipped school to bring my mom to Urgent Care, because she thought she might just have walking pneumonia. After taking her regular vitals (temperature, blood pressure, etc.) we found out she was highly anemic and then that she had lost three quarters of her blood and this sent all the doctors into a panic. Within the next five minutes, my mom was told she would have to drink two cups of disgusting liquid for x-rays, drive to York Hospital for those x-rays immediately and then be admitted there overnight for a blood transfusion. My heart crumbled as I watched my mom’s blank face listening to the blur of words. Before I had much time to take everything in, I was alone in the waiting room at York Hospital while my mom got a CAT scan.

We made phone calls to my step-dad and my sister in college letting them know what was going on. The blood transfusion, I thought, would fix everything and then she would be home, but the major question was, “where did her blood go?” While getting four pints of blood, she also had to drink two more cups of more disgusting liquid that would clean her entire system out for a colonoscopy the next morning. Leaving the most important person to me at the hospital alone was crushing. Early that morning, I was back and all ready, I couldn’t stand the smell, the environment, everything about that place. I was ready for my mom to be home. That, however, wouldn’t be happening, because the tests showed that my mom had colon cancer that had spread to her liver. The “c” word I realized was the scariest word in the English dictionary. I dreaded something like this my whole life. My mom, the nicest, most positive person didn’t deserve this. I wanted it to be a lie. A few days later, I sat in a waiting room for five hours while my mom underwent one of the most extensive surgeries to remove the cancer in her colon. I couldn’t eat, I couldn’t sit still, but what I could do was love and hope. It went successful and a lot of the cancer was removed. She had to stay in the hospital until she could begin to do things on her own. Everyday for eight hours I was at the hospital. My heart ached as night approached and I had to leave her. After two long weeks, she was back home. It felt like everything should be over, when in reality, it just started. In a few weeks, she would start chemotherapy and then the real battle against cancer would begin.

March 8th will be one year since my mom was diagnosed. Some doctors tell her they truly didn’t think she’d make it. Others say she must be blessed. Then there are some, who don’t know how she did it. I believe, however, that my mom’s strength to keep fighting and the love of our family kept my mom here today. Although the battle may not be over yet, our love only grows stronger. It will continue to fight off the cancer and it will continue to help us believe. Scientifically, who knows what really happened inside of her, but spiritually our love conquered more than imaginable.