The Human Race

luke - wayzata, Minnesota

I believe that the human mind is one of the most underrated things on this earth. It seems that throughout history, if the human mind could dream it up, someday it will come true. The saying “if you can dream it, you can achieve it” seems like a cheesy cliché that isn’t true, but in my opinion it is very true. Humans can fly, talk to people on the opposite side of the planet, and find any type of information possible with a simple click of the mouse. These things, along with almost infinite others, are merely the technological advances that have been made possible by the brilliant mind. There just doesn’t seem to be an end to what humans are able to think up, and later actually make a reality. Where I differ from many others in praising the human mind is that it is not just in technology that greatness can be achieved. The human mind is also brilliant in creating a generally better planet. What other creatures band together and give up some of their own materials to benefit the whole. The ideas of government, taxes, and inalienable rights are things that nothing but the human mind could even conceive of. Some may argue that humans do not help enough and they we are greedy. But if you take a step back and think about how far we have evolved from any other creature in terms of helping each other out, it is staggering. There is always more that can be achieved, and as the human mind keeps progressing. I truly believe that someday we may live in the wonderful place that we can all imagine in our minds. 2000 years ago, the ancient Greeks and Romans could not even have been able to conceive of the world that has been created. No slavery, foreign aid from other countries, and welfare are just a few examples of things that would not have seemed possible, but the human mind persevered though times when this stuff was deemed impossible and impractical. The world today is no where near what it could be, but if the human mind can keep believing in what is right, that world may some day become a reality. We already have things like universal health care in many countries, and if all goes right some day this country will to. The thought that everyone, not just the wealthy can be provided with food and health care, the two bare essentials for life, is very heart warming. Yes I am able so see how somebody can think this world is a terrible place, but life on earth is not meant to be easy. Humans are doing much of what they can to make life as good as can be dreamed. Many people would like us to believe that the sky is falling, but in my opinion, the ceiling is just being raised.