The Parent-Child Relationship

Brittany - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe that teenagers and parents can get along. Most of my friends are always telling me about the things that their parents do apparently to wrong them. I almost never have any stories about things that my parents do that I don’t like or things that I do that my parents don’t like. I have an amazing relationship with my parents; they trust me and I trust them. I know that they would do anything for me.

Ten years ago I had an obsession with only one thing: the Spice Girls. I lived and breathed their music and even had the Barbie dolls. When I heard that they were having a concert in Chicago I knew I had to go. My parents knew that the one thing I wanted most was to go to that concert, so they decided to get me tickets. All of the tickets at Ticketmaster were sold out and I was incredibly disappointed until my parents announced that they had gotten tickets from another source. They told me that they were only able to get two tickets so I would be going with my mom. That night was my first concert and the best night of my life so far. Our seats were in the sixth row right in front of the stage. Later I learned that those spectacular seats cost my parents thousands of dollars and that my mom refused to go to a presentation at work therefore passing up a promotion to take me that night.

Last year when I heard that there would be a Spice Girls reunion tour, I made sure I would go. My friend bought four tickets: two for her mom and her and two for my mom and me. She did this because I told her what a great bonding experience it was for my mom and me, and she felt the same way. On February 15, 2008, the four of us went out to dinner on Michigan Avenue and then to the concert. They were even better the second time around. That night was one of the most memorable times I’ve ever had with my mom. It was really nice to get to spend some time with her since she has been working so much lately.

A love of the Spice Girls is just one thing that I share with my mom. I know that my mom and my dad would do anything to make me happy; and many times they have.