21st Century Hope

Roshana - Swan Quarter, North Carolina

I believe that the majority of Americans are ready to believe in our country, our democratic republic, and in ourselves again to do what is righteous and just. I believe that my generation (the mysterious X) is ready to awaken from our slumber, return from our self-imposed exile, and raise our voices to be known and to be counted, despite our smaller numbers, to join in the chorus that resounds with the sweet melody of hope. I believe we are ready to rise up from our sick bed of apathy and lifelessness, bitterness and cynicism to exchange the spasms of death for the sould rythym of life. I believe that we have been languishing in the dryness of this vast and broken hearted desert that could be called the baby boomer aftermath in our country for long enough, recognizing with full clarity now and wisdom that the most dangerous enemy for our nation over the past 30 years has been within ourselves, within our own hearts. Instead, we kept the focus outside of ourselves and looked towards material wealth as the symbol of our wellness, while basic compassion for our fellow brothers and sisters continued to slowly but insiduously be eroded away with a terrible viral and deadly efficiency. Basic trust in our leaders continued to also be lost in the face of ongoing scandals, lies, and compromise as a callous indifference that tore at the very substance of what makes us proud to be Americans. We began to stop believing that we could ever have a leader with real integrity again, and it was just an inevitable sign of the times that would continue to propel us on a one way course to self-destruction. We felt powerless and hopeless. We began to believe that we could never be that leader either who could ever really make any real difference at all. At long last- I believe that a leader who symbolizes the best that the legacy of the baby boomer generation can offer and as the crossover, the best that my generation can offer so far has stepped forward and become known. He is one who represents the child like faith of hope as yes we can while also balancing this hope with the sobermindedness of recent history. He is one who has spent his time in the desert to recognize the full reality of the struggles and challenges that are before us that we must overcome. We hope he will maintain this balance and focus as he prepares to lead our nation in healing and revival. I believe that healing and revival has come not because this leader has done this all himself, but because he understands that he has inspired us to do so.