Meeghan - La Grange Park, Illinois

Meeghan F

Gillespie

IPC Accel

February 18, 2008

I believe in trying new things. Many people give up before trying at something and come up with excuses to get out of things before they even try it, but I believe in giving everything a chance before giving up on it, and that everything is worth a try.

When I was younger, my parents would have to force me to join new things such as gymnastics, soccer, swimming, dance and t-ball. Before even getting to the new class I would tell my parents I hated it and that I didn’t want to go. I always ended up going anyways, and since those times, I have made it to conference for swim team and gotten many first places, I became the pitcher of my fast-pitch softball team and won the championship, and won many dance competitions and made it to Oireachtas, a championship competition for Irish Dancing. If I hadn’t tried these new things I would have missed out on a lot of the fun times and new friends I made over the years, and I would have missed out on a large part of my childhood, and because at the time I was so closed minded, I have no one else to thank than my parents for those fun times I had trying new things. At the time, I thought they were annoying for making me do all these new things, but now I know if they hadn’t pushed me all along, I wouldn’t have tried anything and regretted it immensely.

A year or two ago I came across a quote that changed my view in a very large way. Charles D. Gill once said, “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” To me, this quote was astonishing. I thought to myself, that means every shot you do take you have a chance of making it, even if it’s a 1% chance, its greater then if you didn’t even take that shot at all. For some reason, that saying really stuck with me and got me thinking about the subject, and I realized that I can never be sure if I love something or if I hate something unless I give it an honest try. So why not try some new things, what exactly do you have to lose?

Since that time, I have joined so many more things and made so many new friends. Some of the things I enjoyed, and some of them not so much, but either way I am happy I tried them because now I know and can say I’ve given everything a shot.