Music Is The Key

Bruce - LaGrange, Illinois

I believe in the ability of music to change lives by entertaining, comforting, and adding meaning to life.

Ever since I was a child, my mother would play me songs everywhere. Since then, I have continued to listen to music, and my musical interests have changed a lot. Back then, I listened to children’s nursery rhymes and folk songs, now I listen mostly to rock and alternative.

Other things besides my musical ear changed. When I was seven, I started taking piano lessons, and at fourteen, drum lessons. Both changed my life dramatically by adding something that I could work on and entertain myself with. It also created a way for me to express myself because I’m a pretty shy person when it comes to conversing with people that I do not know well. In addition to those lessons, I progressed in my musical talent by joining the school marching band and jazz band. Playing in both bands was a great new experience because I got to meet people that had the same talents and interests as me in playing music. It was great because I could help other people work on mistakes they might have, and they could tell me what I was doing wrong so that I could fix it. As a result of it, everyone improved a lot.

By using a combination of playing and listening to music, I progressed in my talent of picking out certain instruments from songs and playing them on the piano or drums. In eighth grade, I tried out for jazz piano in IMEA, a music program that auditions kids from all over the district and chooses the best to play together in a jazz band. I made it, and needless to say I was ecstatic. After they sent me the music, I practiced it a few hours everyday because I wanted to sound great. I learned all of the music before the performance so I could play it with no mistakes almost all of the time. Once I got to the high school where the performance was, I practiced with the other people in the band for the first time. Hours later we performed and besides a little speeding, it sounded incredible. I loved the songs we played, and the experience was amazing.

Music has shaped my life dramatically, and I will always be connected to it in some way. I have had the opportunity to join different groups, meet new friends, and experience many different kinds of music, which I am grateful for.