Prayer and this Generation’s Future

Alex - Lagrange, Illinois
Themes: Christianity

Throughout my life, I have always looked to God to help me meet certain challenges and critical decisions. My faith in God has been a vital resource to not just me, but to many American youth. Our country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles, however today; these principles are being suppressed in our public institutions and especially in our schools. I believe that in order to preserve our values and build a strong foundation for this generation and for generations to come, faith and prayer needs to be re-established in our schools. From my own perspective, I have seen this society become wrecked by a code of irresponsibility and immorality. Children today, because of the lack of prayer in school and moral guidance are now the most irresponsible and laziest generations ever. Instead of teaching children how to live responsibly or learn from their mistakes, Schools and parents shelter kids with money and entertainment from reality. Teachers are reluctant to give bad grades to students because they’re afraid of hurting their self-esteem rather than letting them know what they need to improve upon. Schools refuse to allow moments of silence in the classroom, because they’re afraid of offending those students who don’t believe in God. Parents are outraged when it is suggested that their son or daughter should participate in a moment of silence at school, yet ironically these are the same parents that look the other away when they see their sons/daughters using drugs, alcohol, and participating in other immoral behavior. I believe that all of these things are derived from the lack of prayer and faith in our schools. As a result of being sheltered from reality, kids turn to other things as a source for moral guidance. They are dependent on television shows that portray a false image of society and advocates that wealth and beauty are more important than character and intelligence. Misguided actors and drug-addicted singers have now become kids role models. Again, all because a child lacks the proper moral guidance that is prayer and a belief in God. The only way to restore the values of hard work and responsibility for ones actions, is to re-establish faith as the guiding factor in everyone’s lives. The most effective way to initiate this is to allow moments of silence into our schools. The school has the biggest impact on a kids character and approach to life. Many say that parents have the biggest impact on their kids, and that prayer should be kept at home, but in my opinion this is wrong. A kid spends more time in the classroom than at home with their parents. Kids hear things from the teacher and will embrace those things before listening to their parents. A kid will usually identify himself or herself as a student rather than a son or daughter. That is why schools have the biggest impact on kids, and therefore it is crucial to include prayer in school. Moments of silence is a good way to start, because it allows for everyone to pray in their own way rather than under one specific religion’s way of praying. How can simply taking one more minute out of the class schedule to acknowledge God harm students? I believe it will help kids develop responsibility and better beliefs that will shape them for the rest of their lives.