Determination

Declan - LaGrange, Illinois

Determination

I believe in determination because without it I would get nothing accomplished. Determination is the reason I get homework done, the reason I get places on time, and the reason I am the person that I am today.

I play for a traveling soccer team called Kickers United Football Club. We usually have two practices during the week and then a game over the weekend. I’ll be completely honest and say that my team is not the greatest the sporting world has ever seen. Quite the opposite actually, we’re awful. Yet we always tend to have maybe one or two games a season where we somehow pull off an amazing win. For example, in our last season we had a game against the Orland Park Fusion and we staged one of the greatest comebacks of my soccer-playing career. My team started the game off well keeping the score at nil nil. However our defense broke down and gave up a pair of goals right before the half ended. At halftime our coach delivered an excellent speech driven by the concept of determination. He told us that determination is all about not giving up and motivating yourself to do the best you can. He said that if we didn’t push ourselves, we could count ourselves out of the game at that moment. Without determination, we would accomplish nothing. We played the second half with as much heart and intensity as we could and we came back to win the game three goals to two.

Determination plays a big role in my life. Everything I take part in involves determination. Whether I am trying to meet a deadline of some sort or getting somewhere on time, I always motivate myself to do the best I can. When I write essays or do projects, I always push myself to do as good as possible. Without determination, everything I do and have done in the past would not be nearly as good as it actually is. I would not be the person I am today without determination and the effort I put into everyday situations. I can honestly say that I would have a lot less to take pride in and that I wouldn’t be seen the same by my peers and the people around me.