Gossip Girls

Taylor - Lagrange, Illinois

A few weeks ago my mom took my sister and I to get a pedicure for our Valentines Day present. As I was about to sit down and start playing my ipod I saw a teen vogue that had the star Blake Lively of Gossip Girl on the cover. The magazine’s theme that month was obviously, gossip. As I turned the pages I came across an article that said a study proved more people believe gossip over fact. The article went on to say that people might believe rumors and gossip over facts because the truth can boring. After I read that I didn’t believe it but the more I thought about it I could see how it could be true. Walking in the halls of high school shows how often gossip is passed around without even realizing it. I thought about how many Mondays I’ve went to school and I heard a rumor about a party gone wrong or friends hooking up. Sometimes I’d have a person I barley know come up to me and ask me if something was true about a friend or even myself.

I believe gossip is hurtful and shouldn’t keep you from seeing the truth. I moved to Lagrange Highlands in the middle of 8th grade. This was hard for me because I left all my friends in the middle of our graduating year. When I started at Highlands people didn’t really notice me, they just knew me as the “new girl”. Also some of the people in my grade knew each other since they were little, so that didn’t make it any easier to fit in. I tried to be myself and I started making friends, but along with friends came gossip and rumors about me. Girls said that I tried to steal their friends and boyfriends when I was really just trying to make friends. The things they said about me were ridiculous and far from the truth, and to be honest they were hurtful. But as the new girl they would rather believe their friends of several years than listen to my more realistic side of the story. Even though they talked about me I tried not to be bothered by it and I didn’t try to get even. The people who saw through the rumors found me to be a good friend, and I still have some of the friends I made from 8th grade. Now whenever I hear something that sounds a little ridiculous, I don’t spread it around and I try to find out what really happened because gossip hurts.