Shoveling Sidewalks

Megan - Western Springs, Illinois

Shoveling Sidewalks

I believe that shoveling of snow on sidewalks should be mandatory. This is my eleventh year of walking to school. I honestly do not mind walking five blocks to school there and back everyday. It provides good exercise and fresh air, which I enjoy. Where I live there are only about four months of the year that are bitter cold. This may not seem like a lot, but these are the months that feel never ending to a walker.

During the winter, I wake up every morning dreading the freezing walk to school. As if the nippy winds and the biting air was not enough in November, December brings snow, slush, ice, sleet, and blasting winds at high speeds. Yet I still must walk the same route, there and back. Winters in Chicago are always cold, but this winter has probably been the coldest winter I have ever experienced. There were many nights in January, when I went to bed with no snow on the ground only to wake up with it piled several inches high. The streets were plowed on these mornings, but barely any sidewalks were shoveled.

It would be dangerous to walk in the streets so I am forced to walk on the sidewalks piled with snow. Those days are horrible because I arrive at school soaked as if I swam there. But the following days are even worse. Sometimes the snow has melted over night and then the sidewalks that were not shoveled the day before are pure ice. I have always been known as a very uncoordinated girl. Walking five blocks covered in a sheet of ice is quite a challenge. In total this winter I have slipped over thirty times.

Not shoveling the sidewalk is not only dangerous for the walkers, but also inconsiderate towards them. Everyone must play a part in their community and show respect towards others. The sidewalk is supposed to be a safe path for children and adults to walk. If it is not shoveled it is just as dangerous as the street. I believe that shoveling of snow on sidewalks should be mandatory.