I believe in eating all of the food on your plate

Nami - Chicago, Illinois

One of the first things I remember my mom telling me to always do, was to always eat the food that I had on my plate. She would have to tell me almost everyday because no matter how many times she’d tell me, I just never would. I was young and didn’t like to be forced to do things I didn’t want to. So, when I was told to eat all of my food, I wouldn’t. Even if I was still hungry, I just wouldn’t eat it because she wanted me to eat it. Sounds pretty childish, right? It was. I was young and didn’t know any better. But, who knew that my mom was right all along? Of course I had to eat all of the food on my plate. Not only because there are millions of people starving, but because it was what I was given and I am supposed to make the best of what I am given. What do I believe? I believe in eating all of food on my plate. And so should you.

I don’t think people realize how lucky they really are. I can pick out at least three of my friends who complain almost everyday about how their parents won’t let them go out this weekend, how they forgot to put make up on this morning, or just the fact that they didn’t get to say hi to the guy they’ve been crushing on. I’m not saying that these aren’t legitimate problems, because they are. I’m a girl and I understand that little things such as these can be very problematic. However, I don’t think any of my friends really realize how lucky they are. Every day after school, they all go to a cozy, warm place that they call home. They have electricity, beds, food and an education. To most people, this seems like a pretty normal life. But, just think about the girls in some countries who aren’t able to call up their boyfriend every night and chitchat for hours. Or who can’t snuggle up to their teddy bear in the warm bed every night. Or all of the little kids who aren’t able to go to school because they can’t afford it.

Well, guess what. Not everyone has what you have. Of course there are always some things that you are going to want, but you should still make the best out of what you do have. As everyone says, “you always want what you can’t have.” It’s true. But what you do have is the food on your plate. So my advice to you is to eat it and make the most of it because there is always someone who has less than you.