A Peaceful Planet

Daniel - La Grange, Illinois
Themes: patriotism

September 11, 2001 was a day that set my life upon a different path. I was only ten years old, yet the gut-wrenching, tragic, traumatizing images being displayed through the television screen made my stomach ache. Two towers were falling and crashing upon those of New York City.

Afghan citizens had hijacked several United States airplanes in order to instill fear among the minds of the American people. As the planes soared into New York City no one could figure out why they were headed towards the World Trade Centers until it happened. Flame burst through the openings of the buildings and chaos flooded the streets of New York. I had been at school for the day as any normal child, not expecting anything odd would happen…but you never know. I was picked up by my dad because school had been let out and once I witnessed the horrible images on the screen my heart dropped. I talked about the situation with my parents and I asked, “Why”? They responded in monotone, “The world is not at peace with each other today nor will it be now”. I thought over what my parents had said that night. As I sat on my bed staring at the ceiling I spoke within myself, “Why can’t people be kind to one another and not commit such violence as a way to solve problems”? While these ideas lingered through my young brain I realized that my beliefs had changed forever.

I believe in peace between all of those who live in this world no matter their race, gender or age which will then lead to peace within the world. That day, September 11, 2001 had etched into my small heart a belief that would stay with me forever. As Afghanistan destroyed the city of New York as well as the entire United States emotionally, I realized one had to come to peace with all in order to prevent this. Watching such a terrible historical event live had changed me into a whole new person.

Since that day, I have followed my heart and extended my peace to everyone, and tried to reveal my beliefs to others. Many may not know why I exemplify such a kind attitude, but I know that hopefully through my own experiences I can extend my peace to others. I believe through my acts of generosity and manner I will be able to change at least a part of this world and hopefully prevent another tragedy as the one on 9/11.