Music is Powerful

Catherine - Western Springs, Illinois

Catherine C

IPC Accel-3

22 February 2008

Music is Powerful

I believe music is powerful. Powerful enough to change viewpoints on extreme conditions, like songs of the 70’s, but also to put a baby to sleep. Music is an amazing gift that anyone can obtain. Whether you make it, or just listen to it, there’s something about music that lights up a dark room. The beautiful part about music is that there are so many different types to fit everyone’s personal style.

We’ve all had times either at school or at home when feeling accepted is limited. Whenever this happens to me, I throw on my iPod and just zone out for hours. I don’t always get along perfectly with my family so an iPod really comes in handy. But songs on the radio aren’t the only music people listen to. Many cultures have adopted different types of music into their everyday lives. My family is Greek and dancing is a huge part of our culture. I’ve learned the Kalamatiano, which is one of the most traditional of Greek dances. Whenever I dance it, I feel proud to be Greek.

I also believe music is powerful by the way it is advertised. Advertisers can cleverly add parts of songs to their commercial that relate to whatever the product is they’re trying to sell. I find some of these commercials interesting and catchy, but others can just be really annoying. The music in commercials grabs my attention, and for the most part, stays stuck in my head for the rest of the day. An example of a catchy would

be an ad for Snickers. I couldn’t stop singing the song until I actually went to White Hen later that day and bought a Snickers.

One other reason I believe music is powerful is because it brings families and friends closer together. Common interest is one thing, but memories are another. My best friend and I, that we’ve been friends for over seven years, have gradually built up a whole list of songs that bring back amazing memories. For instance, “I Believe in a Thing Called Love” by The Darkness would always play on VH1 at 4 in the morning during our sleepovers. As for my family, our “song” is “Young Folks” by Peter, Bjorn and John. I really don’t know how “Young Folks” became special to us, but what I do know is that whenever I hear it, I am instantly taken back to y dad’s and step mom’s wedding.