I believe people should do what they believe is right, to a certain extent.

Stuart - La Grange, Illinois

“This I Believe”

I believe that people should do what they believe is right, to a certain extent. You have to be able to follow what you believe is right, but ultimately, one must take into account how their actions will affect others. An extreme example of this are dictators like Hitler and Hussein, who believed the world would be a better place under their rule. However, neither of these men took into account how the rest of the world would react. They did not think about how their actions would affect others. But I think in most cases, even everyday people make choices based on what they believe is right, sometimes, not considering the cost of their actions.

For as long as I can remember, I was raised to get good grades. And for as long as I can remember, if the good grades weren’t brought home, the repercussions would be somewhat severe. As my parents would say, “ We demand effort, and expect effort put forth in academics.” And for the most part, effort was put forth. But then it happened during my seventh grade, my grades didn’t matter that much to me anymore. I thought that I didn’t have to study, and I did what I felt like. Even though my parents want me to bring home good grades, they are my grades and I should be able to make my own decisions about my grades. And so what, I was the only one paying the price, it was my problem. However, I didn’t realize that my actions, what I thought were the right thing to do, would have an impact on others. My actions had an impact on my mother and father; they were concerned I was not working to my full potential, and how my poor choices would affect my GPA and my chances in college. My actions had an impact on my brother and sister. Time and Money spent on me, impacted how much time and money my parents spent on my brother and sister. It had an impact on my peers; I would be grounded, so I couldn’t spend time with them. And it will have an impact on the people I will interact with in the future. If I don’t put more effort forth in school, my future contribution might not be as great, might not be as positive.

I believe it is important to do what I think is right, and live with the consequences of my actions. It is important to think about how your decisions, whether it be, not studying, or not putting forth effort in academics, can affect not only you, but also everyone around you, family, friends, and all the people you will encounter in the near and distant future.