Believe

Mo - Illinois
Themes: sports

Volleyball is a very important team sport that has to do with constant bonding and building relationships. On every team I have played with, there is always one girl that is different in an obvious way. There is a girl on my team, named Ellen, who has been misinterpreted and judged by me and my teammates.

The first day of volleyball practice was exciting, as us girls, as teammates began to learn about the different personalities of each girl on our team. Everyone seemed to be pretty cool, but we were still skeptical of each other as we scrimmaged and saw who was good and who was not. Ellen was a pretty good player, but as the weeks went on all the girls seemed to notice that she was very strange. She would say things that people did not understand, and many times what she said was offensive to other girls. For example, she would always say mean things when other girls would make a mistake. Of course we do not know her background and what she is thinking, or how she was raised, but we are all sure that is not how people should act. Because of her obvious social awkwardness, as you might say, most of us girls would make fun of her and joke around about how weird she was behind her back.

I never felt good about being mean to her, but I felt like I was becoming better friends with the other girls because we were all in on the “secret” about her strangeness. I do not believe that we all were trying to be mean, but the whole thing snowballed into a bigger deal than it should have been. I have decided to accept Ellen though, because who am I to judge her? She may be strange or what I am not used to, but I don’t think that I should treat her differently because of that.

Ellen is an example of someone that wants everyone to like them, and she is actually a nice girl now that I have gotten to know her better. When it comes down to it, we all naturally want to be loved, and although we will always be loved by someone, being loved by other girls on your team is important for bonding and volleyball. I would hate to not be loved, so I have decided to reach out to others, starting with Ellen and the rest of my teammates. I believe that everyone deserves and wants to be loved.