More than Myth

Alexandria - La Grange, Illinois

When I was young, Christmas was without a doubt the best time of the year. We covered the house in decorations, and the Christmas radio station was constantly playing. But the best part about the holiday season was when we went to my granparents’ house. My grandpa was always wearing his Santa Claus hat or some other ridiculous costume just to make us laugh. You could always tell my grandma was home because the whole house smelled of cookies baking in the oven. Her specialty was her Santa Claus cookies. Every year, she carefully rolled out each individual cookie and painted them red and white. They took her three days, but she never quit because she wanted to instill in us the spirit of Santa Claus. And because of my grandparents’ enthusiasm and Christmas spirit, I still believe.

Yes, I believe in Santa. I know, I know. It seems like the whole world has told me that I’m 16 years old and I need to get over it. Most kids find out he “isn’t real” when they are 10 or 11, but I still have faith in the big man in red. Even though I’m quite aware that Santa isn’t real in the true sense of the word, I am still confident in the values he has to offer. First of all, Saint Nick makes millions of children happy for at least the first decade of their life. That’s reason enough to be in favor of him. But it’s even deeper than that. By experiencing the magic of Christmas in my house, I’ve noticed that the spirit of Santa still affects grown adults. Because of Santa Claus, my grandparents remained youthful until the day they died. My grandpa was still willing to don his furry red and white hat just to make us laugh. And my grandma’s energy and excitement was indescribable. Even as a woman in her eighties she was enthusiastic on the night before Christmas as she actively helped us put out cookies and write our letters to Santa. I’m sure if you asked them the day they passed away, my grandparents would still say they believed in Santa Claus. So if a so-called “fictional” character has this much of an impact on my grandparents, then yes, I believe. If he brings great joy and tradition to my family members every single year, then yes, I believe. I believe in Santa Claus.