No Time to Waste

Dave - La Grange, Indiana
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that everyone should wake up each day and live their life as if it were their last. I believe no matter what should happen, always find a way to live life in the moment. I believe that life is way too valuable to waste. Living life each day without regret and only worrying about right now is the only way to live. Forget about what had happened last week with your friends or what will happen after graduation. Just take a moment to forget all those worries in life; don’t contemplate the past or marvel about the future. Just worry about making every day something to talk about, and not just wasting another chapter in your life.

I believe that everyone spends too much time daydreaming in the past or future, when what really matters is what is going on right now: the present. The simplest things in life are being taken for granted: whether that is cracking jokes and making your friends laugh, spending precious time with the family, or even going to school day every single day. Those are the things that people don’t find as valuable anymore.

I believe in taking advantage of my youth. The next six years are going to be the best years of my life: whether that means moving out to college, finding a new job, or just mooching off my parents until I’m thirty, it doesn’t really matter. What really matters is not exactly what you choose to do, but how you carry out that choice is what really matters. The power of choice is the most powerful attribute that we as humans have. Our choices decide everything that happens to us, even before we do them. One choice can mean the difference between becoming a Bill Gates, and becoming that guy who plays the “buckets” after every single White Sox game. These are the years when no one can tell us what to do. We could be whatever we were made to be. Up until high school our parents or other adults have basically told us exactly what to do with our lives. But now we don’t have to let other people enlighten us on how to run our life, let it come naturally. And until you find that special something that you really love and cherish, don’t allow others to supervise the way you run your life.

I actually did not use to think this way. As a freshman last year, I never thought the same as I do now. I could name priceless opportunities that I blew off last year. I went through many days worrying about getting straight A’ in everything and going all out, studying for hours for useless tests, but after a year in high school, I soon changed my belief. I believe that teenage years are way too precious to just throw away. I believe in living life to the ful