Takinh Care of business

Jasmine - Chicago, Illinois

Jasmine S

I was sitting at the dinner table with my family and we started discussing my future plans for college and careers. I said I had a plan and that I as going to work out what I wanted to do. My parents thought that I was too young to decide what I wanted for myself, but I felt otherwise. They began to say that I would go to school in Chicago and that I should work at this particular club and should take extra courses for school and all this gibberish. They even began to talk about what type of guys I should date. They were just going on how they don’t want me to make the same mistakes they did. Then I began to speak to myself in my head. I began to say “Who in the world do they think they are, for real?” “Do they think I am that incompetent of a person that I can’t think for myself?” What the h****!”

That is why I try to live by my strong belief, “Live for yourself first then add others, and make your own mistakes for yourself not anybody else.” This may sound selfish, but it is not. How can you live your life if you’re living for other people? Right, you can’t. I get agitated when people, especially my parental units, try to enforce their dreams for life into my dreams.

Unfortunately there is only room for one person’s dreams and aspirations in my brain. I do appreciate the wise help, but I learn by making my own mistakes and trying to work through them myself. It drives me crazy when people tell me their life experiences with something they did wrong. Exactly how do you know the thing you did will have the same turn out for me?

Each person is different and has his or her own story to write. If they ask for co-writers or editors along the way that’s fine I’ll probably help. However; that doesn’t mean you, as another story writer can add your own editions. I’m not saying screw the world, but live for you and take care of you first. Then you will be strong enough to take care of other people. Sometimes you have to put yourself as top priority and do what is best for you. Shockingly, you are the only person that knows what that is.