Rejuvanation

Andrew - LaGrange, Illinois

Whether it’s the vocal harmonies in an old Beach Boys song, or the theme jingle for a T.V. show that used to be on air, music triggers memories and brings me back to a previous place and time. The synchronizations of Mike Love and Brain Wilson’s voices in “Fun, fun, fun”, shoot me back to a vacation I took with my family in Hawaii. No matter how cold or rainy it may be outside, as soon as I hear that song, I suddenly find myself back on the sunny island of Maui, lying on the beach in my aviator glasses, pretending to be cool. Or when the song “I want it that way” by the backstreet boys happens to come up on my Ipod, my mind flashes back to the year 2000, and I am in the car with my corky mom blasting the song by the once popular boy band. It is for this reason that I believe that music is rejuvenating.

Another classic example of the invigorating affect music has on me is how every time I hear the song “Trees” by Marty Casey and the Lovehammers I remember the time that all of my friends and I played football in the rain. And how Scott poured an orange crush over his head, only to find out that the rain would not wash the pop entirely out of his hair, and he would walk around the rest of the day with orange eyebrows. Or every time the song “Don’t stop believing” by Journey comes on the radio, I’m at a sox game in 2005 with my friends Robert and Sully. We are sitting about 20 rows up off of the 1st base side, as some adult that none of us have ever seen before starts to lecture us about how nice of a guy one of the players, Matt LeCroy, is, and how funny it was to see the expressions on my two friend’s faces turn skeptical.

The revitalizing affect isn’t always a blessing however. Sometimes a song that I will hear will trigger a bad memory. When I happen to hear the baseball jingle “put me in coach” it reminds me of how my little league team lost in the last inning of the championship game and how upset I was over the defeat. A visual of a fifth grade version of myself standing in center field, with grass stains up and down the sides of my pants, and my glove hanging from my left hand usually comes along upon hearing the song as well.

There is no doubt in my mind however that I still have many more of these memories to make; and that I will be listening to an oldies channel thirty years from now and I will be sent down memory lane upon hearing that beach boys song, or baseball jingle. I believe that music is rejuvenating.