Evil Knievel

Robert - La Grange Park, Illinois

Mind and body racing a mile a minute, the dare devil prepares for his next event. The risk on this stunt is greater than ever before but this man is determined. He understands that he will soon enter the unknown and be forced to exert every amount of energy in order to survive but this is his passion. He finds the rush of life in taking risks. I admire dare devils in their ability to always look beyond the goal and to go one step further, their ability to risk everything in order to improve. So I believe in dare devils, the ultimate risk takers.

In my life, I had to work hard to find my niche because nothing really seemed right. I was happy but never felt complete or satisfied with anything. When I began high school, I welcomed this opportunity to meet new people and find out who I am. When October of my Freshman year rolled around, a friend of mine asked me if I had signed up for Fall Snowball. “No,” I replied, “What is it?” They then went on to tell me all about it and that it is supposedly the “best weekend of your life.” I was skeptical but remembering my vow to try new things, I went to the bookstore and picked up my registration form.

The coming weeks passed with little to no mention of the weekend, as if it were an afterthought. But when there were only a few more days to go, I started to feel really nervous. I kept on thinking about whether or not I will know anybody or if it will be just another dorky Outdoor Education kind of thing. I didn’t want to make a fool of myself.

When we arrived at Camp MacLean, all of the people there were so happy and excited. What surprised me was that most of the staff members were high school students except for a couple adults here and there, that really helped ease the awkward feelings. They led us outside and we began the day. There were small groups, energizers, and a million more ridiculous activities. At first everybody felt uncomfortable, but soon that passed and before I knew it, all the people that I could see were in constant fits of laughter. It was weird how such a large group of strangers could turn into friends so quickly.

This weekend was a risk because I had no idea what it was beforehand and barely knew anyone going in, but afterwards, I missed everything so much. It truly was the best weekend of my life, not only because of the fun and games but rather because it gave me a sense of direction and now as a staff member myself I appreciate it even more. This risk is why I believe in dare devils, they make a career out of risk taking and I commend them for that.