A Little Hard Work Never Hurt Anybody…

Ethan - Storrs, Connecticut
Themes: work

Until I entered college, I had always been teased by the “popular” kids. During those years, though, I desperately wanted to be confident and well liked. It was the summer before college when I realized I needed to be proactive in achieving this objective. I set personal and career goals and am working at them as hard as possible. I am now in the University of Connecticut’s business school and hold various leadership roles in organizations. I am the person I wanted to be.

I believe in taking initiative and doing everything to the best of your ability. I believe that doing so will leave you with no regrets. But this does not mean success or failure. It simply means being proactive in an undertaking and working as hard at it as possible. Success or failure is not important because you did as best as possible. If you fail, you cannot blame yourself and you will not regret having tried.

My first inspiration to the principle of hard work and initiative is my father. After initial successes in his job after college, he realized his business passion and potential. He aspired and worked extremely hard to achieve higher management roles. My father is now responsible for the municipal utilities business in Richmond, Virginia. My second inspiration was the development of my own goals. I quickly realized that the only way to get there was through my initiative and hard work.

Conversely, I know people that have not taken initiative or worked hard and may live with regrets as a result. The first group is my town’s maintenance workers. Every workday consists of talk about dislike of their jobs and personal situations. They have not taken the initiative to start a healthy eating plan or return to school, however. My second example is a group of my friends. They too are displeased with their situations and desperately hope to leave our hometown. Not a single one has been proactive in doing that, though. They continue to do poorly in school despite great potential and fail to resolve problematic relationships.

I believe the principle of hard work and initiative is successful because it improved who I am. My goal for a competitive career forced me to adhere to this principle. The organizations I joined turned me into the confident person I wanted to be growing up. In striving for high grades and leadership positions I also gained work ethic and management skills. Outside of college, I used the examples of my father, the town workers, and my group of friends to persevere towards my goals.

Finally, I believe my principle is relevant to everyone. At the end of their lives, I believe everyone will want to say that they have no last regrets. I have seen through my own experiences that taking the initiative and working as hard as possible to do everything you desire will leave you in a place to regret nothing.