Make New Friends

Grace - Western Springs, Illinois

Grace M

Mrs. Manthei

IPC Accel

25 February 2008

Make New Friends

“Make new friends, but keep the old.

One is silver but the other gold.”

I was an outgoing four year old at First Congregational preschool. Self proclaimed “Queen Pterodactyl” in “Dinosaurs”; I loved to be the center of attention. If you can remember, the life of a 4 year old is quite simple. First Mommy wakes you up. After a good ten minutes of snoozing, you groggily head downstairs for Chef Mommy’s specialty, buttered toast. Upon finishing, you put on your favorite yellow leggings and Tweedy Bird T-shirt. You convincingly fake brushing your teeth and scream at the top of your lungs when Mommy tears out all the tangles in your hair. Finally, you’re buckled into your car seat and head for a magical land, Preschool. Yes, it’s a magical land alright. There’s a jungle gym, finger-paint, and nice ladies that look a lot like Grandma. The best part is all the colorful snacks in the little gold tubes. This preschoolian delicacy is called “Play-Doh”.

For the next few hours, it’s a four year old free for all. Your options include playing house, playing dolls, building with blocks, talking to your imaginary friend, and playing “Dinosaurs”. The only structure to this magical land is singing practice. Once a month, you and your fellow classmates really rocked out to “The Wheels on the Bus” at the All-School Sing Along. All your hard work of singing in Preschool for a whole 30 days culminates into 3 fateful songs. Your class has a pretty loyal fan base. There’s your Mommy, Brian’s Mommy, Kathleen’s Mommy, and many others.

As strange as it sounds, I bet I could belt a few of those preschool favorites to this day. Unlike the music on my iPod, all the songs in preschool had a story, a lesson. My particular favorite has to be the Make New Friends Song. It’s not just my favorite because there’s a home video of me screaming so loud that I turn blue in the face. It’s my favorite because it’s a good outlook to have on life. The message of making new friends but keeping the old is something I will be challenged by every day. If only life was as simple as preschool, when it was okay to have 17 “best friends”. I have noticed that the values I have today all started in preschool. Some examples include: No biting others, wash your hands after going to the bathroom, and let everyone have the chance to be line-leader. Most importantly, I learned to never be afraid to let loose in a Sing-Along with “Make New Friends”, because the kids who aren’t afraid to go blue in the face are the ones who have the most fun. Overall, I believe that preschool was some of the most important years of my life.