I Believe in Unversal Healthcare

Quinn - LaGrange, Illinois

“This I Believe”

I believe every human being should be given healthcare. Millions of Americans are living without health insurance. Many more have minimal coverage that will only cover so much. As a high school student healthcare is a subject I had never really worried about or thought about. Then a very personal series of events occurred that tested my previous opinions and beliefs. They not only tested me, but changed my outlook on life.

A few years ago my brother was diagnosed with schizophrenia, one of the worst illnesses I personally have ever witnessed. Schizophrenia takes over a persons’ mind and body. A brother I have known for years is gone and many people do not understand the disease. My brother became a new person with many terrible side effects of the illness. His symptoms often included delusions, paranoia, depression, anxiety, and insomnia. When he was not receiving treatment he was a danger to himself and possibly to others. His symptoms were quite worse than they are now. He believed people were after him and could not function in daily life. Now he receives treatment with a variety of drugs and therapy. In my mind these made a great difference and helped him very much. With some difficulty he now can live a normal life. However, treatment costs thousands of dollars over time. Without health insurance it would be nearly impossible to afford treatment. My family has good insurance so the best possible treatment is available. Not every family is as lucky though to have good insurance. Great healthcare has improved the quality of life of my brother. This is why I feel so strongly about universal healthcare. I believe that everyone should get the chance, like my brother did, for the quality of life to improve.

Last year my grandma was diagnosed with cancer and it is spreading. There are very expensive treatments that could be taken and stop the spreading and prolong her life. Unfortunately she has no insurance to cover that expense. Medicare turned her down, stating that it is experimental. She was treated differently because she had no good insurance. Her quality of life will not get the chance to be improved unlike my brother.

I believe in universal healthcare that will benefit every single patient not just hospitals and insurance companies. The Constitution says all men are created equal. Why does this not apply to healthcare? Universal healthcare is what I truly believe.