Elise - Western Springs, Illinois

Elise T

“This I Believe”

Rough Draft

“This I Believe”

Friendship is an extremely important aspect of my life. I believe that everyone needs friendship in their lives to overcome the struggles they are faced with. When I find it difficult to talk to my family members, it is much easier to ask my friends for guidance and support. Friendship isn’t just laughing and sharing common interests; it’s also about sharing pain and conflict, and rising above those conflicts together.

I believe that without friendship, there is no way to get through the obstacles in our lives. Last year, one of my best friends was diagnosed with anxiety and depression. It was, and continues to be, a very difficult situation for her and her family. After a couple months of slowly isolating herself, I realized that she needed help; not just from professionals, but from me. I began to understand that this was a time in which she looked to me for support, and I showed her that I was always there to help her out and to give her advice whenever she needed it. Even though what she was going through was hard, I think she was happy to have me and other close friends there to support her and show her that we cared. I believe that without our help, she may have never gotten better. Since this particular situation occurred, I have tried in different ways to do the same for other people. It is comforting for me to know that I have helped other people, and it is just as comforting to know that I can count on others to be there to support me.

Friendship comes about in many different ways; from sports teams and clubs to sharing similar concerns and beliefs. Although they come in varied ways, there are similar benefits that come from every one. Friendship to me is being able to tell a secret and trusting that it will be kept. Friendship is caring for someone as if he or she were family. I believe that everyone needs a friend to depend on.