Radio Is Terrible

Andrew - 60558, Illinois

I believe that radio is terrible. For one, there are too many commercials on most stations. Also, I hate many of the songs they play, and the Dj’s repeat the same few songs over and over. I know it is probably necessary that stations play more mainstream music in order to garner a larger audience, but that makes for a boring lack of variety. On top of all that, many artists I enjoy are not played on the radio often, or at all.

However, I didn’t always dislike radio as much as I do now. It was always just a minor annoyance until I had to take a two-hour car ride with my grandpa to our cottage in Michigan. I didn’t bring my ipod because my parents thought that would be rude, and wouldn’t let me. Instead, I was forced to endure two hours of some terrible oldies station. I hated all of the songs they played, but it didn’t help that seemingly every other song they played was something by Elvis. That was truly an awful experience. My belief was only reaffirmed this past week when I had the radio on in range. I turned on Q101, the only station that plays music I sometimes enjoy, and throughout the entire forty minutes I was in the car, only two songs were played. The rest of the time was take up by mostly commercial, and ,occasionally, uninteresting Dj’s “banter”. Two songs in forty minutes, neither of which I enjoyed. That’s just stupid. If you call yourself a music station, play music. I would hope that satellite radio is a little better, because you have to pay monthly for it, and apparently there’s a lot more variety there. But then again, I don’t see why anyone would pay for that when they can just hook there mp3 player up to a car or speaker and listen to uninterrupted music they are sure they will enjoy.

I think that radio will start to become less and less profitable as mp3 players and the like become more and more prominent. Radio is boring. There are far too many commercials, far too many unfunny DJ’s, and far too few good songs played to convince me it is worth listening to if there is another option.