Chicago White Sox

Shaun - LaGrange, Illinois
Themes: sports

I believe that the Chicago White Sox are the greatest sports team of all time. There is no team more fun to cheer for than the White Sox. Sometimes people would ask me my second favorite team, and like any true Sox fan I would answer, “Anyone who plays the Cubs.”

I first encountered Comiskey Park, the home of the White Sox, when I was two years old. My parents had brought me to my first Sox game and that’s when they decided that I should be raised as a Sox fan. So, like my father, I grew up being a Sox fan. Going to many White Sox games over the years had made me love the team and the sport.

Over summer, my neighbors and I used to set up a television out in the yard and eat lunch outside while watching the Sox play. Although I really enjoyed going to the games, sometimes I just stayed home and watched my favorite players on T.V. Frank Thomas was the biggest influence on me because he was my favorite player of all time.

When the Sox played in the playoffs in 2005, that was the greatest time of my life. Whenever they won, my brother would always light off some fireworks to celebrate the victory.

I have had my doubts about the White Sox though, in the 2006 and 2007 seasons, they did not play like they had just won a World Series in the past two years. The Sox had sunken below the Kansas City Royals, and they were awful. By that point, I was really concerned. I even considered rooting for another team. Even though the Sox were in a huge slump, I thought about it, and figured that I needed to stick with my team.

It was very recently that I had decided to never give up on the White Sox. Even when they are playing bad, they are still fun to watch and they are a part of who I am. I pretty much grew up admiring Frank Thomas, Robin Ventura, and Albert Bell every single day and they won’t be forgotten. Also, I remember all the good times when I played whiffle-ball pretending to be like Big Frank going up to the plate and hitting homeruns.

As I am older now I realize that good or bad, the Sox are always the best. They were always there for me as a child. I do believe that the White Sox will be the champions of the 2008 World Series. However, most importantly, I believe the Chicago White Sox are the greatest team on earth and are a huge influence on who I am.