One Can Change the World

Alanna - USA

One Can Change the World

People hear the saying “one can change the world” often, so often that at this point I believe that it has lost much of its meaning to many. The world today is filled with many problems that are so complicated that wars are fought and bombs are set off, that many say that it seems impossible that only one person can change it. Change is the other part of the saying that people often scoff at. Many have lost hope that the world can be a peaceful place without war or racism or any unnecessary violence. I disagree with this perspective because one person can change the world, whether doing it knowingly or not.

A prime example is Rosa Parks, an everyday commuter on her bus. She was just one of the many people who rode a bus in Montgomery, Alabama until she took a stand and refused to give up her seat. She may not have known that her actions would trigger a major bus boycott and fuel the civil rights movement, but she stood up for herself and did what she thought was the right thing to do. She is now famous for her actions and the impact she had on the world. She was just one. Just one person who stood up for what she believed and look at what happened: the Montgomery Bus Boycott, one of the largest anti-segregation movements ever. Many people during that time drew from the confidence that Parks displayed in telling her bus driver that no, she wouldn’t move for a white man.

I draw from this slice in history in that she was the underdog in the situation. During that time, everyone was seemingly against African Americans and giving them any rights whatsoever, but Parks stuck up for herself, even though she knew the odds were against her. I find comfort in the fact that she challenged authority in the very difficult time that she lived in. This story proves once again that one person can change the world. Even if all odds are against him or her, many people have the strength needed to stand up for what is right.

It only takes one for change to come. One person that speaks their mind or stands up for what is right can affect so many people. I admire those like Rosa Parks who have the guts to stand up for what is right. I have noticed that people follow those who lead by example. One person could cause millions to follow them and change the world. It is possible and it will happen. One person will change the world forever.