This I Believe: True Love Never Dies

Jared - New Orleans, Louisiana
Themes: setbacks

New Orleans is called the “big easy.” Why? I do not know. Every morning I wake to a city emerging from disaster. There is nothing easy about disaster because it never brings smiles, hugs, or a good po-boy after a long day’s work. I still see the broken houses that represent broken lives. I see how the depression and suicide rate has grown in the past two and a half years. There is nothing easy about living in this city for there is rampant corruption, a school system barely on its feet, and a crime rate that makes me cringe. I have a sense of hopelessness. I see this city like a small child, lost in the department store, who tries so hard to find her way. She roams aimlessly, without direction and calls for her mother. She then realizes that no one will come to her aid. This is the story of my city that for so long has been left out to dry. Coming for Mardi Gras or any festival will make life seem easy, but I have a different story about New Orleans. This story is not your normal Katrina story. This story does not tell of how much my house flooded or how many things I lost. This story is about true love that never dies.

I have lived in this city for almost six years and like all things this place grows on you. I’ll admit that New Orleans has its fair share of problems. I’ll admit it’s not the best place to live, but I look at this place as if it were my child. I see this place as my little girl who can’t pass third grade no matter how hard she tries. I see this place as my son who gets caught in a world of drugs without an escape plan. The world tells me to give up on people that seem so hopeless. The world tells me to give up on a city that has no future in sight. Despite what the world tells me I still have true love.

True love is sacrifice. True love asks nothing in return. True love has no conditionals; it is not worried about imperfections. True love says lean on me when you’re not strong. True love comes early and stays late. True love never gives up even if a city is broken, crying on its knees. True love has an impact. True love makes people change. True love never dies. This I believe.