Laughter is Food for the Soul

Julie - LaGrange, Illinois

Recently I had one of the worst days of my life. I know teens my age are always saying this, but I was one of those kids who never had a bad day, until recently. It started off a bad day, I woke up late, had to run to my bus, found out that I failed a quiz I took, had a really crappy lunch, got into trouble with a teacher, got an excruciating amount of homework- just one of those days. Nothing went my way.

So I came home all flustered and in a crabby mood. I turned on the television; nothing good was on (of course!), all of a sudden a show popped up. It was the probably the cheesiest, most outlandish show I have ever seen. I just burst out laughing and I couldn’t stop. When I finally did stop, which was a good amount of time after the show ended, I had pains in my sides, I was crying, and I was on the ground. I literally rolled around on the ground laughing. I don’t even remember what about the show was so funny, I just kept on laughing. It was like everything horrible that happened earlier was laughed away. I laughed my troubles into tears and they rolled down my cheeks to the carpet, there they vanished. I never felt so refreshed before. Nothing mattered yet everything mattered. I was balanced.

I believe that laughter is food for the soul. It fills you up and swallows all the bad that you have experience, leaving behind a feeling that is nothing that you have ever felt before. That day when I laughed my brains out, I had an open mind about everything. I wasn’t dreading all the homework I had to do and I wasn’t dreading telling my parents about the unfortunate quiz. The laughter made me realize the joy that really is in the world. I know it may sound cheesy, but it is true. Take the Yiddish proverb for example, “What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul”. Laughter cleans and cleanses the soul, leaving behind a new bubbly sensation like nothing before. It just makes you want to smile! All the happiness swells up in you like a balloon. How many of you feel so much better after having a good laugh? It is because laughter is food for the soul.

Since my laughing attack, I haven’t experienced a bad day yet. To this day I watch something funny once in awhile, to get out all the bad feelings. I like to think that everyone has the ability to laugh their problems away and cherish the moments they have before they have to experience another road block on the road of life. You may have this feeling for a second, a minute, or even a day before reality settles in, but you know what it feels like and you thrive for that feeling again. Laughter is food for the soul, this I believe.